Drop by a dating site or check out the personals in the newspaper(they still make them, right? If not maybe check out some archived newspapers from a decade or more ago)). Find a pair of people (they can be same sex or different – whatever tickles your fancy).
Write their first date. Then throw in something speculative! If you haven’t got your own funny/scary thing to throw at them inspired just by reading their ads, use a random number generator to grab something off this list(I’m sure you can do better though).
- A dinosaur (I had to include this because my son adores them)
- A talking animal who speaks a language only one of the couple can understand
- A talking table knife that thinks it is a sacred sword of legend
- a robot from a parallel, steampunk dimension
- A vortex (through time/space/dimensions, whatever you please)
- An obscure monster, like a hippocamp or bunyip
- Or one of them is the speculative element(though please, no vampires, werewolves or fey, let’s do something different)
Don’t forget to wrap up the romance too! Do things work out, will they be together forever or not or something in between?
If you post the result on your own site feel free to link to it in the comments. We’d love to hear if you were inspired by the prompt too, even if you will never let the resulting work see the light of day.